• Welcome to our Forum! Ask PC-Build Questions, discuss Tech-News, Content Creation & Gaming Workloads or get to know the CGDirector Community off-topic. Feel free to chime in with insight or questions on any existing topic too! :)

Advice on cloning a drive

Q

Quezzers

Tech Intern
Reaction score
Hello I am seeking help on cloning an ssd onto a larger capacity ssd
I have a Dell 3070SFF which has a 128gb WD (short form factor) nvme ssd drive in the single m2 socket on the motherboard.
All that is on this drive is windows 11. I want to replace this with a 500gb nvme drive and clone my existing drive on to it . I bought a usb converter to carry my original drive and put the new 500gb nvme in the M2 slot but could not get this to work no matter what I did. I laterread that you can't do this from USB
Having read on here an article about pcie to nvme converters I am now wondering whether I can get one that I can put my original drive in and clone it to the new one?
I have 2 pcie socket on the board one appears to be a standard socket about 3 inches long and one is about one inch long.Also the total height of the case is about 3 inches so a standard bracket won't fit and of course the adapter can't be too high either I would be grateful if anyone who knows about these things can tell me if what I am suggesting is possible, what sort of adapter I would need and if possible instructions on anything else I might need to do to get it to work.

Quezzers

O

Onyon

Tech Intern
Reaction score
Hey there! I had a similar issue when I tried cloning an SSD. I ended up getting a PCIe to NVMe adapter so I could connect my old drive directly to the motherboard. It was a game-changer—no more USB hassles. Just make sure you get a low-profile adapter if your case is tight on space like mine was. For the cloning, I used Macrium Reflect, and it worked great. Just follow the software’s instructions step by step.