• Welcome to our Forum! Ask PC-Build Questions, discuss Tech-News, Content Creation & Gaming Workloads or get to know the CGDirector Community off-topic. Feel free to chime in with insight or questions on any existing topic too! :)

Constant Re-Boots

G

GazzaMataz

Tech Intern
Reaction score
Hi All!
I have a Threadripper 1920x system with a Microstar X399 mobo, 32gb RAM and two RTX 2800ti GPUs. I know it is getting on a bit but there is still plenty of life in the system and it renders pretty quick using Redshift.

The problem I am getting started last week, I would be working on my PC and then it would make a faint blip noise and re-boot. I updated the GPU driver still does it. Then I left it with no apps running and it still does the same thing. So I thought I would test it using memtest86 with a bootable USB drive. Booted up fine and started the test and after about 10 mins it rebooted itself. So doing this I know the problem is not Windows 10 since it didn't boot into Windows - right?

So I booted into BIOS and left it to run and low an behold it blipped and re-booted.

I cannot really pinpoint what is causing this. All I can think is that it is either the power supply which is a Corsair AX1600i which is only 4 years old, the RAM Corsair Vengance, the GPUs which are identical (and I have tried running the machine on both and it still crashes so I don't think it is either of these) or a flaky CPU or mobo. I know the CPU is not overheating since I monitored the temperature in BIOS.

If anyone has any ideas PLEASE let me know. The machine is reasonably useable until it decides to re-boot!