• Welcome to our Forum! Ask PC-Build Questions, discuss Tech-News, Content Creation & Gaming Workloads or get to know the CGDirector Community off-topic. Feel free to chime in with insight or questions on any existing topic too! :)

Help! What should i upgrade? (VFX and Video Editing)

D

dashman

Tech Assistant
Reaction score
Hello, I have had this PC since early 2021, and have been thinking of upgrading.

I am a freelance VFX compositor and video editor, so my work is mostly video editing, green screen, compositing, using Nuke, After Effects, Photoshop, etc. With occasional Blender to help aid on my compositing and some hobbyist stuff. Basically i deal with a lot of multilayer EXRs and heavy ProRes.

My current PC has been serving me well this past few years, but lately I have been getting bigger projects that requires me to do VFX compositing and video editing in 4k and beyond. And my PC has started to strain, especially when i work with 4-5K After Effects project. It often crashed and just freeze the PC. So I thought it was time for some upgrade.

My goal is to have a PC where I can just do 5K projects or edit 5K videos smoothly. No crash, no freeze, no slow playback. But
I'm not sure which part of the software is most responsible in making sure a smooth 5K video editing. I have upgraded my RAM from 32 to 64, and it only bumped it a little tiny bit. Could it be my GPU?

Here's my current PC specs:
Processor
AMD Ryzen 7 3700x 8-core
Mboard:
B550M Gaming
GPU:
Nvidia RTX 3060Ti

I also run on 64 GB RAM (2x32 gb)
with two SSD hard drives:
SSD 970 EVO 1TB
SSD 970 Plus 500GB
(i also have some extra externals for storage)

Which part should I upgrade, or would it be easier to just build a new PC from scratch?
Thank you!